Friday, July 10, 2009

Colorado Chainsaw Massacre

The players:
Mom
Seth* (this name has been changed to protect...well, let's just be blunt, dumb)
A chainsaw

The setting:
Some mountain near Glenwood Springs, CO

The setup:
Seth, an adventuresome child prone to giving his mother gray hair, insists on being a seasonal firefighter. This would be his 3rd year; 2 on a hotshot crew. He excitedly called his mom earlier in the year about how he was going to be "on the chainsaw" this year. Imagine her "happiness".

Scene 1, yesterday:
Mom, has spent the last 3 days in Kansas City for manager training and is driving back through the back highways of Kansas. (Egad.) Her phone beeps. She checks it, only to discover 3 missed calls and a "call me" from Seth. (Darn lack of cell towers.) Now, Seth does check in periodically, (good boy) but likes to text. A "call me" does not bode well.
Background: Remember, Seth is an Alberts, who are prone to practical jokes.
Mom reaches Seth, who procedes to tell her he had a little accident. With a chainsaw. Right, thinks Mom, I'll bite. Seth goes on to tell her that his hand slipped on the chainsaw and he is in the emergency room. Oh, really, she responds, what happened? Well, he says, I cut my hand on the chainsaw. I thought it was a little scratch until I looked down and bone and tendons! Then, he goes on , I have to see the specialist tomorrow, and they're pretty sure I will have to have surgery. I could be out for 2 weeks or longer but they said if it is short term that the boss will hold my chainsaw spot for me, he says excitedly! (Yay, Mom thinks, I can hardly contain myself.)

Scene 2, Today at 10:
Seth saw the specialist and called his mom. Mom can tell he is very unhappy! He tells her, "Even though the ER doctor tells me he thinks the tendon is just torn, he told the specialist that he couldn't even find it! That means I could be out for 6-8 weeks!! Boss tells me, if that is the case, I would pretty much be out for fire season!" He proceeds to tell her that he still has 2 side tendons still attached, which will work but eventually will stretch out and so one of his fingers will then always flap lower than the other one. It could still work, and he could chance it.
Mom is flabbergasted. She tells Seth, Wait a minute... you are 24 years old, it is your right hand, and it will be a problem for the rest of your life. Have the surgery!
I thought so too, Seth responds, I have surgery at 3. Then, he unhappily, tells her he doesn't know what he would do for the rest of the summer. He is afraid that if he doesn't have the surgery, it will affect his dream of being a smokejumper, and if he missed the rest of the season it will set him back a year for sure on being a smokejumper.
It will be okay, mom tells him, let the doctor get in and see what is really going on, and then let us worry about it.

Final Scene:
Seth calls after the surgery, sounding pretty good, after just having the procedure done by numbing his hand with a local. He tells his mom that he hurts, but the tendon is just severed slightly and only took a stitch and it should be good! He sould only be out for 10 days, no physical therapy or anything. Monday he should find out for sure and get a cast on it. Then, he very happily and excited, told her that he could probably go back to chainsaw!!

Awesome.

The end.

No comments: